Commerce Road
Built 1930s-1950s, Commerce Road originally comprised factories and the tram depot.
Now part offices, part bus depot, part derelict.
History
Originally nursery grounds to the west of the river Brent and in Isleworth Parish so most records are in Hounslow Library. Tram Depot early 20c. Factories built in1930s and 1950s, some with Art Deco fronts. Continue reading “Commerce Road”
Magistrates Court
Market Place
High Street
Built in 1850 as a Magistrates’ Court and currently closed for redevelopment.
Locally Listed
In The Butts Conservation Area; Thames Policy
History
This was the site of the market in the town for at least 300 years. About 1850 the old Market House on this site was demolished and a Town Hall built as a speculative development by the Brentford Town Hall and Market House Company. It was never used as a town hall and by 1852 it housed the County and Magistrates Courts and the Board of Guardians met there. There was also a library and public meetings were held. Continue reading “Magistrates Court”
Overhanging Warehouse
Grand Union Canal, Brentford Built in 1960s as a warehouse, currently derelict and being re-developed. In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area. History This is a piece of industrial history from the 1960s, formerly known as the Brentford Depot. A freight terminal at which barges and carriers (called lighters) from the Thames and docks, which were too wide for the … Continue reading Overhanging Warehouse
Remnants of old Brunel Railway Bridge
Built in 1859 as railway bridge, now mostly derelict, storage or car repair yard.
In Thames Policy Area.
History
Remnants of the old Great Western and Brentford (Thames Junction) Freight Railway Line, built 1859. Continue reading “Remnants of old Brunel Railway Bridge”
Brentford Bridge
Bridge first built in 1818, with 1901 additions.
In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area
History
The first bridge was built over the Brent in 1284. Continue reading “Brentford Bridge”
The Ham Schoolroom
The Ham, TW8 8HF
Built in 1895 as a school, now used as a nursery.
Locally Listed as “New Brentford School”
In Thames Policy Area
History
The Ham Schoolroom: Built 1895 as New Brentford School for boys. Later National School. Continue reading “The Ham Schoolroom”
The Six Bells
148 High Street Originally a pub, rebuilt in 1904 and remains a pub. Locally listed. In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area. History Licensed by at least 1722. Fuller Smith & Turner from 1815. Rebuilt in 1904. Named because of the six bells that were in St Lawrence’s church that were rung for special occasions and when Royalty travelled through … Continue reading The Six Bells
St Lawrence’s Church
High Street
Built in 15th century as a church with 18th century alterations, now derelict..
Grade II* listed
On English Heritage “At Risk” Register.
In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy.
EH Listing Description
Former church. Tower C15 altered C19; body of church 1764 by Thomas Hardwicke (old list); south aisle and north vestry added C19; interior re-done 1889 (Pevsner p.28); 1970s restoration work. Tower of Kentish rag with ashlar dressing; body of church of brown brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roofs. 3-stage west tower; 3-bay aisled nave with 1-bay chancel, all in one, having additional south aisle, north vestry and small sanctuary. Continue reading “St Lawrence’s Church”
405-7 High Street
including Lamb’s Passage
Built 19th century or earlier as houses.
In Thames Policy Area.
History
Row of cottages next to petrol station, opposite (the former) O’Riordan’s Pub. Continue reading “405-7 High Street”
The Vicarage
138-9 High Street Built c1889 as a vicarage and since converted into residential flats. Locally listed. In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area. History Originally built as St Lawrence’s Vicarage c1889. Danger As of September 2013 under threat of demolition due to Ballymore’s development. [mapsmarker marker=”47″] Continue reading The Vicarage
