Bridge first built in 1818, with 1901 additions.
In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area
The first bridge was built over the Brent in 1284. When the canal opened in 1794 there was a three arched brick bridge and the first lock was above the bridge. This led to difficulties getting boats through the bridge and when Thames Lock was built in 1818 a single arch granite bridge was built in 1824 by Robert Sibley to carry the main road west. Altered in 1893 when an iron casing was erected by the Grand Junction Water Works Company to carry more pipes across the bridge.
This structure is visible from the canal towpath under the present bridge that had to be widened to allow access to the trams in 1901.