THE HOUSE OF HANOVER
1714 – 1727 George I
1714 The constables for the New Brentford Division reported to the justices that they searched for ‘popish bishops’ and found none. Warrants were also issued by the justices to the collectors of the window lights to appear and give account of the money they had collected. They also committed Sarah Perkins to the House of Correction for ‘refusing to divulge the name of the father of her bastard child’.
1715 The first Jacobite Rebellion in support of the Catholic Old Pretender.
1717 A Turnpike Trust was set up to try to improve the road between Kensington and Hounslow as it was almost impassable during the winter.
1723 As a result of Queen Anne’s Bounty, St Lawrence’s Church became a district benefice presentable by the Rector of Hanwell
1727 – 1760 George II
1727 Christopher Clitherow of Boston House died. He had been a Justice of the Peace and a friend of Sir Godfrey Kneller, the Court Painter ‘who had painted a number of Clitherow family portraits. These hung in the house until the sale in 1922. Christopher and his wife had 15 children’within 19 years. Six of them died as infants. His wife died in 1714 aged 40 when the youngest child was five.
1740 Rule Britannia was composed by James Thomson
1740 A replacement bridge was built over the river Brent. It was built of brick and had three arches.
1742 John Wesley preached for the first time in Brentford. His diaries record many journeys through the town and a number of sermons over the next 50 years.
1744 St Lawrence’s Church was upgraded from a chapelry to become the parish church of New Brentford.
1745 Jacobite Rebellion when Bonnie Prince Charlie, the Young Pretender, invaded from Scotland as far south as Derby
1745 The map drawn by John Rocque shows the town as a continual line of buildings from Brentford Bridge to Kew Ferry with many orchards and market gardens surrounded by open fields. There are large estates at Syon, Osterley, Boston and Gunnersbury.
1746 At the Battle of Culloden Bonnie Prince Charlie’s forces were defeated and the Catholic claim to the throne was ended.
1749 The Parish of New Brentford was established as a parish separate from Hanwell. It was 230 acres and the boundaries were the same as those of Boston Manor.
1754 The Turnpike Trustees were inefficient and the
road deteriorated. There was increased traffic to fashionable Bath and The Gentleman’s Magazine described the High Street as the worst public road in Europe and suggested a bypass. It was 80 years before one was built.
It is thought that the cedar trees were planted on the lawn at Boston Manor.
1755 A jeweller of the town called John Jullion made a clock for the Market House. It was later transferred to the tower of the Magistrates Court.
1757 Clive of India’s victory at the Battle of Plessey established British power in India.
1758 The first bridge ‘was built over the river Thames at Kew’ by Robert Tunstall who had owned the ferry rights. It was built of wood with a stone base. Tolls were payable to cross.
1759 General Wolfe captured Quebec and secured Canada for the British Empire.