THE HOUSE OF SAXE-COBURG=GOTHA
1901 – 1910 Edward VII
1901 The tram route from Shepherds Bush to Hounslow was built through the High Street. Many old properties were demolished to widen parts of the road.
1902 The Education Act transferred responsibility for elementary education from the local school boards to the County, Urban and District Councils.
1902 St John’s School opened in Brook Road and moved to Boston Park Road in 1972.
Chiswick Golf Club was given the opportunity to buy Boston Manor House and park by Colonel John Strachey Clitherow to establish a club for polo, tennis, croquet, fishing and golf. They did not accept his offer.
1903 Emmeline Pankhurst established the Women’s Social and Political Union with a view to obtaining votes for women.
1903 A spire was added to the Wesleyan Church in Clifden Road.
A house in Windmill Road was used as the start of St Faith’s Church.
The Countess of Jersey laid the foundation stone for the library from Osterley House.
The third Kew Bridge as opened by King Edward VII and is officially called the Edward VII bridge.
Carts were still returning from London loaded with dung to fertilise the orchards and market gardens.
1904 Brentford Library was opened by Andrew Carnegie, the Scottish American philanthropist. Carnegie had financed the building, the town had provided the land and had voted a penny on the rates to pay for the running costs. Fred Turner, who was the Librarian at the time, wrote a very full report of the opening ceremony in The History and Antiquities of Brentford.
The water mill in the Butts was demolished and the Boatman’s Institute was built for the London City Mission. It provided education for canal boat children and a lying in room where canal women could have their babies.
Nowell Parr designed the library and the Boatman’s Institute. The Institute is now a private house.
1906 The tram service to Hanwell was introduced.
The Rev William Stracey Clitherow of Boston House laid the foundation stone of St Faith’s Church in Windmill Road and the church opened in 1907.
1908 The Liberal government introduced the first Old Age Pension. The maximum was 5/- per week for over 70s with an annual income of less than £23.
1909 The first Town Planning Act dealt with provisions regarding housing for the working classes and provided for the appointment of a Medical Officer of Health. The Development and Road Improvement Act enabled the Middlesex County Council to establish a Road Board to plan the construction of new roads and improve the old ones.
The National Insurance Act started a system of compulsory insurance against illness for a large number of lower paid workers.
1909 Brentford Bridge was widened and granite from the bridge was used in the construction of the Brentford Monument which records four events in the town’s history. It was erected by the ferry and unveiled by the Duke of Northumberland of Syon Park. It now stands on the corner of the High Street and Alexandra Road outside the County Court.
One thought on “1901-1910”
How did Green Dragon Lane in Brentford get its name and what is the history of the road and surrounding area?