69 London Road

69 London Road

…and attached garden wall to North and East
Brentford
TW8 8JQ

Residence built 18th century.

Grade II statutory listed.

English Heritage Listing

II House, now flats. Probably late C18 or early C19, extended after 1827, altered mid C19, converted to flats early C20. Part of the Syon Park estate.

Plum brick, in Flemish bond except for south west elevation, which is in English bond. Northern, roadside elevation rendered and lined as ashlar, Hipped slate roof, with deep plain eaves, to main range, pitched slate roofs to right hand and rear wings. Comprises a main range of two storeys and basements, in four bays, with a lower two storey, two bay right hand wing set back. At the rear is a two storey wing at right angles to the road. Continue reading “69 London Road”

Gillette Factory

The Gillette Factory

Great West Road

Factory built in 1937, currently vacant.

Grade II statutory listed.

English Heritage Listing

Premises Of Gillette Uk Ltd

1937. Bannister Fletcher, Architect.

Two storeys and basement with very lofty central tower. Brick. Three-seven-three-seven-three bays. Ends project slightly and have both storeys of iron-framed windows in a recessed panel. Main windows also in two storeys with decorative metal aprons without brickwork. Continue reading “The Gillette Factory”

NatWest Bank

National Westminster Bank

Syon Lane Corner
Great West Road
TW7 5NR

Bank built in 1935.

Grade II Statutory Listed.

English Heritage Listing

Bank. 1935 by WFC Holden as the Osterley branch of the National Provincial Bank.

Brown brick with Portland stone dressings. Flat roof. Single storey. Double-height banking office, bow-fronted to Great West Road, flanked by lower wings, that to left with bow-fronted public entrance on the return. Expressionist style. Continue reading “National Westminster Bank”

BMI Syon Clinic, former Coty factory

BMI Syon Clinic

Former Coty Factory
Great West Road

Factory built in 1933, now private clinic

Grade II statutory listed.

English Heritage Listing

1933 by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. Modernistic. Symmetrical. Rendered on a steel frame.

2 storeys on raised bank. Entrance and vertical window above it are recessed below the continuous shaped parapet, with triple horizontal clasping motifs in the angles beneath the parapet. Continue reading “BMI Syon Clinic”

Westlink House, Carillion

Westlink House

or Pyrene Building 981 Great West Road TW8 9DN Factory built in 1928, now offices for Carillion Grade II Statutory listed. English Heritage Listing By Wallis, Gilbert and Partners. 1928, but altered. Modernistic. Symmetrical and rectilinear. Rendered. Sited on raised bank. Mainly two storeys. Chief feature is central Tower with stepped haunches and abstract moulded features at top. It has recessed panel in face enclosing … Continue reading Westlink House

Firestone Gates

Firestone Gates

Great West Road

Factory (and gates) built 1928.

Grade II statutory listed.

English Heritage Listing

Central gates, gate piers and railings to the former Firestone Factory. 1928 by Wallis, Gilbert and Partners.

Reinforced concrete, cast iron railings and lanterns. The former central pedestrian entrance to the Firestone Factory, comprising a pair of outer piers, two runs of original railings; a pair of gate piers with double gates; two plinths supporting lanterns either side of a flight of shallow steps; and a pair of lower piers at the top of the stairs. Continue reading “Firestone Gates”

991 Great West Road

991 Great West Road

Ex Curry’s Warehouse,Now JC Decaux
Brentford

Built as a factory in 1935-6, now offices for JC Decaux

Grade II Statutory Listed.

English Heritage Listing

Warehouse, 1935-6 by F E Simpkins for Curry’s Ltd as the distributive centre for their chain of shops. Reinforced concrete with some steel frame, especially at rear. Flat roof to long office block at front, 5-bay warehouse to rear has jagged industrial profile with northern rooflights over single storey. Continue reading “991 Great West Road”

Wallis Building

Wallis House

Also known as Smithkline Beecham House Including Midland Bank Great West Road Brentford TW8 9BS Factory built 1936-42 currently being converted to commercial and residential space. Grade II statutory listed. English Heritage Listing Smithkline Beecham House (also known as Wallis House) Including Midland Bank Factory; now company headquarters and offices, and bank. East wing 1936 by G A Warren; otherwise 1937-42 by Wallis, Gilbert and … Continue reading Wallis House

Carville Hall

Carville Hall

Carville Hall Park Brentford Residence now converted into flats. Built 1777 or earlier. Extended & re-fronted in 19th century? History Early Victorian House originally known as Clayponds. Bought by Middlesex CC 1918 for building the Great West Road. The park around was bought by the Brentford UDC after the First World War as a War Memorial for the local men who had fought and to … Continue reading Carville Hall