Syon Lane Corner
Great West Road
Bank built in 1935.
Grade II Statutory Listed.
English Heritage Listing
Bank. 1935 by WFC Holden as the Osterley branch of the National Provincial Bank.
Brown brick with Portland stone dressings. Flat roof. Single storey. Double-height banking office, bow-fronted to Great West Road, flanked by lower wings, that to left with bow-fronted public entrance on the return. Expressionist style.
Bowed façade to road has 3 tall ladder windows with margin glazing separated by columns with brick ribs which continue as moulded features in the stone-coped parapet.
Groups of similar full-height ribs form straight angles with blind lower wings, each of which has a rainwater head and drainpipe linking the design to a low stone-coped continuous plinth.
On return, bowed entrance with blind wings has central recessed doorway (later C20 doors), flanked by recessed margin glazed ladder windows; approached by bowed and shaped steps. Stone coped parapet and plinth. Blind return of double-height office, with ribbed angles, rises behind.
Interior fitted out to late C20 requirements but retains timber panelling to walls and piers. The bank was designed to form a group with Sir Bannister Fletcher’s Gillette Factory.