Ex Curry’s Warehouse,Now JC Decaux
Built as a factory in 1935-6, now offices for JC Decaux
Grade II Statutory Listed.
English Heritage Listing
Warehouse, 1935-6 by F E Simpkins for Curry’s Ltd as the distributive centre for their chain of shops. Reinforced concrete with some steel frame, especially at rear. Flat roof to long office block at front, 5-bay warehouse to rear has jagged industrial profile with northern rooflights over single storey.
The front range is of two, rising to three central storeys, and with an impressive staircase tower as its centrepiece, in a symmetrical 3,6,1,6,3 composition. All windows metal, with strong horizontals, mostly of 4-lights in tripartite fashion but with idiosyncratic arched windows at end. Those to the side of the central tower are curved in the famous modern manner.
The building is entered under the staircase tower on the first floor via a flight of concrete steps that are part of the composition and have concrete balustrades with pylons complete with set-back tops. Double doors have stepped flat concrete surround and flat canopy over. The central tower rises between corner pilasters, with a set back and toothed top and remains of clock. Under it the tripartite staircase window has 19 horizontal lights.
Included as a remarkably complete survival in the style the Great West Road made famous,
which has particular group value with its listed neighbours, the former Pyrene and Coty factories.