(formerly the White Horse)
24 Market Place
Pub built in 1603 with later additions.
Locally listed as “White Horse”.
In Butts Conservation Area.
There’s mention of this as The White Horse as early as 1603. A rebuild and the addition of the tiles on the outside walls would seem to be about the same date as other pubs in the town.
Originally the PH was just the corner building (with the Doulton tiles) but incorporated the Victorian house next door in the 1980s. An earlier house on this site had been the home of William Marshall who gave a home to his nephew Joseph Mallord William Turner when he was about 10 years old.
Some reports suggest that at one time the building was refurbished by local architect/surveyor Nowell Parr, hence his trademark Doulton Tiles outside the building.