Built as a health centre, currently part Age UK, part unused.
Grade II listed.
In Thames Policy Area.
English Heritage Listing Description
EH Listing Description: Health centre, formerly also with juvenile employment bureau to rear. 1937-8 by L A Cooper and K P Goble, respectively borough engineer and architectural assistant to Brentford and Chiswick MB. Brick with concrete floors and flat roofs, some projecting, some hidden behind high parapets. One and two storeys to an irregular plan set round a double-height waiting hall to rear of site; south elevation to Brentford High Street of two storeys with tower incorporating caretaker’s flat. Irregular elevations with projecting curves to west and extended concrete canopies to entrances at north, south and east. All windows metal casements with strongly horizontal glazing-bar pattern.Tall metal window and clerestorey in tower are particularly telling parts of the composition. Some round metal portal windows, particularly at southern entrance and in tower. Interior not inspected.
The external walls to west and south, the latter with iron railings – repeating the horizontal motif of the fenestration – curved walls and steps, are an important element in the way the composition builds up to the tower and waiting room, and articulate the raised site, and sentinel quality of this ‘tower of health’. Gates develop the horizontal motif as a grid, with expressive curve also. Small single-storey additions within courtyard, set behind eastern elevation, not-of special interest.
Opened 1938 as health centre and juvenile employment exchange on the site of the British (later Rothschild) School. By LA Cooper and KP Goble Borough Engineer and Architect to Brentford & Chiswick Council. Pevsner describes it as ‘low brick in the Dudok manner popular in the 1930s for progressive social buildings by the Middlesex County Council’. Designed by MCC architects department. Doctor’s surgery closed in 1996 when new health centre opened in Boston Manor Road.