Kew Bridge, Kew Road
Bridge since construction in 1903.
Grade II Statutory Listing;
in Kew Conservation Area and Thames Policy Area
This is the third bridge on the site. The coats of arms of Middlesex and Surrey on the upstream parapet were damaged by shrapnel during WW2. It was opened in 1903 by King Edward VII and King Edward VII Bridge is its correct title. Winter 2009 Janet McNamara was told by a neighbour that itʼs not shrapnel marks as officially reported but that a German fighter plane flew along the river firing a machine gun.
EH Listing Description
Road bridge. 1903, by Sir John Wolfe Barry and Cuthbert Breveton. Three elliptical arches over the river Thames with a series of small arches under the long approaches. Granite, with rustic voussoirs and bracketed cornice below the parapet. Has cartouches bearing the
coats of arms of Surrey and Middlesex in the spandrels either side of the centre arch. This replaced a stone arched bridge of 1784-9 by James Paine , which itself followed a bridge with seven arches of 1758-9 by John Barnard. Part in the London Borough of Richmond. (qv.) [See Pevsner London 2: South p715.]