24 The Butts

24 The Butts

Residence built in 18th century, or possibly 1690. Grade II statutory listed. In Butts Conservation Area. English Heritage Listing Description Early C18. Brown brick with red brick dressings. 2-storeys, basement and attic, 4 double-hung sashes in plain surrounds. Basement has plinth, windows have cambered relieving arches; ground floor windows have segmental arches with projecting keystones. Sunk rectangular window apron panels below 1st floor windows. Modillion … Continue reading 24 The Butts

Stucco Cottages, The Butts

16-18 The Butts

Residences built in 17th century with 18th century additions Grade II Statutory Listed. In Butts Conservation Area. English Heritage Listing Description Pair of C18 stucco cottages. 2-storeys, 4 double-hung sashes. No 16 ground floor window has no glazing bars. Door-hoods on brackets. Old tile roof. Modern dormer. NMR. In poor repair at time of re-survey (July 1951). Further Information EH Description requires updating: Owner confirms … Continue reading 16-18 The Butts

St George's Schoolroom

St George’s Schoolroom

High Street

Built in 1786 as a schoolroom and currently derelict.

Grade II Listed as “St George’s Church Hall

In Thames Policy Area.

English Heritage Listing

(for St George’s Church Hall): 1786. Brown brick. Hipped old tile roof. 1-storey. Oblong plan with 6 sash windows. Front at right angles to road. First school of Mrs Tristram founder of Green School Movement. Continue reading “St George’s Schoolroom”

St Lawrence's Church

St Lawrence’s Church

High Street

Built in 15th century as a church with 18th century alterations, now derelict..

Grade II* listed

On English Heritage “At Risk” Register.

In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy.

EH Listing Description

Former church. Tower C15 altered C19; body of church 1764 by Thomas Hardwicke  (old list); south aisle and north vestry added C19; interior re-done 1889  (Pevsner p.28); 1970s restoration work. Tower of Kentish rag with ashlar  dressing; body of church of brown brick in Flemish bond with ashlar dressings;  Welsh slate roofs. 3-stage west tower; 3-bay aisled nave with 1-bay chancel,  all in one, having additional south aisle, north vestry and small sanctuary. Continue reading “St Lawrence’s Church”