Cholera in 1853

  From returns made to the Commissioners of Metropolitan Police by the superintendents of the F, K, L, M, P, and R divisions of police, and transmitted this day to the General Board of Health, it appears that, between the 18th and 28th instant,there have occurred in those districts 20 cases of cholera, of which eight have resulted fatally. In one instance one patients died … Continue reading Cholera in 1853

Brentford’s Jullion Clock

Jullion Clock, Magistrates' Court
Jullion Clock, Magistrates’ Court. Note the ladder inside the tower that had to be climbed up to wind the clock.

In 1755 the Brentford clockmaker, John Jullion, built a clock for the tower of  the Brentford Market House. The House was demolished in 1849 and the clock was transferred to the new Town Hall that was built on the site. When this building was reconstructed in 1930 (it was by then the Magistrates’ Court) the clock was retained, and it can still be seen from the High Street. Continue reading “Brentford’s Jullion Clock”

Toll House

Toll House

Gauging Lock, Brentford, TW8

Built as a toll house in 1911, this is now a museum.

Grade II statutory listed

In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area

History

In the 18th century at the time of early canal travel, goods were carried from the Midlands to London covering 230 miles via the Oxford Canal and the Thames,  meeting hold ups of fishing weirs and often floods or droughts on the Thames.

In 1793/4 the Grand Junction Canal Company built a canal to cut down this distance  (as the crow flies it’s only 100 miles). Continue reading “Toll House”

O’Riordans

O’Riordans Tavern 3 Brentford High Street, TW8 0DX Pub since construction in 1888 in Thames Policy Area History First in directory in 1888 as The Royal Tar. Also referred to as The Jolly Tar. At other times known as The Yacht, and Captain Morgans. Interesting cast iron pillars at corners of the windows. These can be seen on houses in Hamilton and Whitestile Roads. O’Riordans … Continue reading O’Riordans

Kew Bridge

Kew Bridge
Kew Bridge

Kew Bridge, Kew Road

Bridge since construction in 1903.

Grade II Statutory Listing;

in Kew Conservation Area and Thames Policy Area

History

This is the third bridge on the site. The coats of arms of Middlesex and Surrey on the upstream parapet were damaged by shrapnel during WW2. It was opened in 1903 by King Edward VII and King Edward VII Bridge is its correct title. Winter 2009 Janet McNamara was told by a neighbour that itʼs not shrapnel marks as officially reported but that a German fighter plane flew along the river firing a machine gun. Continue reading “Kew Bridge”