227 High Street
Built as a pub in the 19th century.
In St Paul’s Conservation Area; Thames Policy Area
Designed by TH Nowell Parr and AE Kates in 1907 when it became the corner building of the Half Acre when it was widened for tram lines to Hanwell.
Beehive-shaped turret, art nouveau glass, with blue-green Doulton glazed tiles, the pub occupies a prominent position in the High Street. An art nouveau grate in the fireplace is the only feature of note inside. A good example of a pub by the surveyor of Brentford from the 1890s, Thomas Henry Nowell Parr. Described in ‘Buildings of England’ as a ‘notable landmark… a small but confident corner pub of much character’.
Named after the Beehive brewery founded in the area by the Gomm family in 1840.
Early 20c was advertising that this was a suitable place for ladies to lunch.
Mentioned in Alfred Pearce’s poem of Fifty Pubs on Brentford’s High Street, 1948.
The Gomm family’s Beehive Brewery