Built in 18th century as residential, now offices.
Grade II Statutory Listed
In Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area and Thames Policy Area.
The Clarke Family lived here, from 18th century when the house was built (see 1771 map), until late into 19th century. Early in the 19th century John Clarke and his son Samuel were in the important trade of coal and lime dealing.
By 1888 number 80 High Street had become the home of the Underwoods and was called Brentford House. The Underwoods were an early importer of Hay & Straw. The company employed 300 people and maintained a stable of 100 horses. The Underwoods also traded in lime, coal and coke.
Underwoods Hay & Straw Warehouse, built in 1881 behind number 80, was a handsome red brick warehouse with three gables. It was demolished in 2011.
Recently European HQ for the former World Trade Centre. Now Solicitors Office.
English Heritage Description
C18 house, now flats. Brown brick. 3-storeys. 2-1-2- double-hung sashes in flush surrounds with rubbed red brick flat arches. Central projection to facade.
Graceful porch with “Tower of the Winds” columns and pilasters and entablature with carved frieze; open pediment, arched doorway with panelled intrados and traceried fanlight.
Parapet, hipped Welsh slate roof. 2-storey left hand 1 window wing with ground floor archway. NMR.
As of September 2013, Ballymore states this building will be retained and incorporated into the new development.