Originally built as police station and then dairy, now offices.
Built early 18th century.
Grade II Statutory listed
In St Paul’s Conservation Area and Thames Policy Area
Original police station with yard in the front – this is now the area of a single storey office. It’s said that the original cells are still in the basement and there is an interesting set of steps and railings at the back of the building. The police station moved to No 40 High Street in 1869. There are pictures of a dairy on this site with a wall around the yard and the remains of old advertising hoardings that still show above the office on next door wall.
English Heritage Listing Description
House. Early C18, altered. Brown brick; red brick dressings. Red tiled hipped roof to eaves. 3 storeys. 3 bays wide.
C19 extension to front, with pilastered corner entrance and plate glass window. Original front wall nevertheless retained. Square, gauged headed windows, sashed with glazing bars to first floor. C20 windows to second floor.
Interior retains original panelling exposed to all rooms except to ground floor front, original fire surrounds; original cornices. Original, open well staircase with turned and twisted balusters (many missing above first floor) and carved tread ends. A remarkably complete survival.
Breeze blocks have been used to block up rear windows (see picture). Not supposed to be used for a Grade II Listed Building. Also rear of building generally seems in bad repair.
Currently Douglass Simon Solicitors since 1997