Boston Manor House, Brentford, TW8 9JX
Now Open to the Public; Was Residential
Grade 1 Statutory Listed;
on English Heritage “At Risk” list
in Grand Union Canal & Boston Manor Conservation Area
Original part of the house built 1622/23 for Lady Mary Reade.
Extended 1670 by James Clitherow whose descendants extended and made alterations until 1922/3 when it was sold to Brentford Local Board (later Borough of B&C – now London Borough of Hounslow) with the area of the park.
1941-1961 Primary School on the ground floor.
1962 M4 Flyover built straight through the park.
1963 Used by the Institution of Houseworkers Ltd. Their lease taken over by The Over Forties Housing Association later Housing for Women.
Stables converted for accommodation in 199?
Refurbishment of dining room and library and guide book published 1998.
Lease on flats in the house not renewed.
The library was closed in 2002 when a crack was found in the rear wall of the 1623 house and scaffolding erected.
The rear of the house was boarded up from 2006 and the House closed for 2 years for repairs to the wall.
The State Rooms reopened to the public 2012. (EH Listing needs updating)
EH Listing Description of Boston Manor House:
1622-3. C18 North wing. 3-storeys and attics. Red brick. 6 windows in stone architraves. Stone cornice between 2nd and 3rd storeys. Stone porch with balustrade like that at Lilford Hall. Northants (1635). Interior has splendid early C17 ceilings, fine C18 wallpaper on upper staircase. Fine carved main staircase. Drawing room ceiling divided by moulded ribs into oblong and square panels, broken into semi-circular and segmental cuspings, connected by short crossribs. Within some of the panels are strap-work cartouches containing emblematic figures; including the 4 elements designed by the C17 Dutch artist Mare Gheercerts, and engraved by Galle. The house was damaged in the war and was extensively restored prior to its reopening in 1963. Is now occupied by National Institute for Housecraft Limited. See ‘Country Life’ March 18 1965. AM.
Also EH Listed: Garden wall, 2 sets of iron gates and gateposts to Boston Manor House. Gateway about 100 yds South of Boston Manor House.
EH “At Risk” Description:
Built 1623 for Lady Mary Reade. Stabilising action to south and west elevations undertaken. English Heritage grant awarded towards options appraisal for future uses. Repairs to south west corner substantially completed. Reinstatement of finishes awaited. Options appraisal almost ready for public consultation.
Open to the public Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays from April to October