Magistrates' Court

Magistrates Court

Market Place
High Street

Built in 1850 as a Magistrates’ Court and currently closed for redevelopment.

Locally Listed

In The Butts Conservation Area; Thames Policy


This was the site of the market in the town for at least 300 years. About 1850 the old Market House on this site was demolished and a Town Hall built as a speculative development by the Brentford Town Hall and Market House Company. It was never used as a town hall and by 1852 it housed the County and Magistrates Courts and the Board of Guardians met there. There was also a library and public meetings were held. Continue reading “Magistrates Court”

Brentford’s Jullion Clock

Jullion Clock, Magistrates' Court
Jullion Clock, Magistrates’ Court. Note the ladder inside the tower that had to be climbed up to wind the clock.

In 1755 the Brentford clockmaker, John Jullion, built a clock for the tower of  the Brentford Market House. The House was demolished in 1849 and the clock was transferred to the new Town Hall that was built on the site. When this building was reconstructed in 1930 (it was by then the Magistrates’ Court) the clock was retained, and it can still be seen from the High Street. Continue reading “Brentford’s Jullion Clock”